JONES, REES JENKIN (1835 - 1924), Unitarian minister, schoolmaster, historian, and hymn-writer

Name: Rees Jenkin Jones
Date of birth: 1835
Date of death: 1924
Spouse: Anne Jones (née Griffith)
Parent: John Jones
Gender: Male
Occupation: Unitarian minister, schoolmaster, historian, and hymn-writer
Area of activity: Education; History and Culture; Literature and Writing; Poetry; Religion
Author: John David Jones

Born 17 September 1835, eldest son of John Jones (1802 - 1863) of Aberdare. On his mother's side he was descended from the family of Jones of Llwyn-rhys, pioneers of Nonconformity in Cardiganshire. He was educated at his father's school, Carmarthen Presbyterian College (1855-9), and the University of Glasgow (1859-62), where he graduated M.A., 1863. His father having died 19 December 1863, he took his place in the school and in the pulpit, and in January 1864 received a unanimous call from the church. He was its minister from 1864 until 1872, when he resigned on the ground of ill-health. He did not, however, remain idle. He edited Yr Ymofynydd from 1873 to 1879, and became a lecturer (officiating as principal) at the Carmarthen Presbyterian College (1876); Watcyn Wyn and Ebenezer Griffith Jones were members of his classes. In 1879 he resumed his old duties in the pulpit of the Old Meeting House and at Trecynon seminary, popularly known as ' Jones's School '. There he had among his students Sir T. Marchant Williams, G. Pennar Griffiths, and T. Botting. He retired from the ministry in 1909. He married Anne Griffiths (died 7 March 1899), Aberdare, and they had five children. He edited Yr Ymofynydd (for the second time) from 1881 to 1887. His publications include Emynau Mawl a Gweddi, 1878; Emynau ac Odlau, 1895 (most of them being his own translations); Unitarian Students [at Carmarthen], 1796-1901, 1901; an article in the Encyclopaedia of Education on ' Davis Castell Hywel and his school'; articles in the D.N.B.; and more than twenty essays on theological subjects. He was a regular contributor to the press, mostly on historical matters; e.g. to Yr Ymofynydd, Y Geninen, Cymru (O.M.E.), Cyfaill yr Aelwyd , Unitarian Transactions, and the local press of Aberdare and its surrounding district. His contributions are usually signed R.J.J., S.N.S., or T.C.U. He left his manuscripts to the Cardiff Library and the N.L.W. He died 15 October 1924.


Published date: 1959

Article Copyright:

The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.

Find out more on our sponsorship page.