Born 21 August 1817 at Manordivy, north Pembrokeshire. Ordained deacon in 1840 (and priest, 1841), his first curacies were in Much Wenlock and Derby. Persuaded by Lewis Jones (Almondbury) he went to Yorkshire in 1846 and was vicar of All Saints, Netherthong, for a period of thirty-three years. He remained single until 1870 when he married Jane, daughter of William Hammett, Appledore Court, Devon; she died two years later. An antiquary by inclination, he was F.S.A., and one of the founders of the Cambrian Archaeological Association (Archæologia Cambrensis, 1846, 463-5). He was also one of the pillars of the ‘Association of Welsh Clergy in the West Riding of the County of York.’ He wrote biographies of Joseph Hughes (Carn Ingli) and Lewis Jones (of Almondbury) and was a frequent contributor to Yr Haul and Bye-Gones; he was also a frequent visitor to the eisteddfod in Wales where he often acted as adjudicator. He was brother to David James (Dewi o Ddyfed). He died 3 August 1879 and was buried at Netherthong.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/