Born at Redcock in the vale of Cerdin, Llandysul, Cardiganshire. His father was a weaver and he was brought up to the same craft. He was a member of Horeb Independent chapel and received his early education at the school kept by Samuel Griffiths of Horeb. When his weaving was finished for the day he used to go to Owen Evans (1808 - 1865) at Burlip (Llandysul) for a lesson. He became parish clerk of Llandysul and worked in a lawyer's office at Llandysul and Swansea. Life as a lawyer's clerk did not, however, appeal to him and, once again, he sought out Owen Evans, who was now at Cefn-coed-y-cymer — the two were related to each other. He had already changed his tenets. He passed into Carmarthen College, where he remained for four years (1844-8). He was ordained minister of Rhyd-y-parc, near Llanboidy, Carmarthenshire, and Onnen-fawr, near Llandilo, and opened Parc-y-felfed school at Carmarthen (1849-64). He was a very successful teacher. Poor boys who hoped to become ministers were admitted free to his school. He was a simple, unassuming, great-hearted man; his sermons were severely practical, and his services to Wales can only be estimated by considering the influence acquired by his pupils. He married Rachel, daughter of John Jeremy of Caeronnen; Walter J. Evans was their son. He died 29 February 1864 at the age of fifty-four and was buried in the public cemetery at Carmarthen.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/