Born at Blaenbrwynen in the parish of Clydau, Pembrokeshire. He began to preach at Tre-lech, Carmarthenshire. He was a stonemason by trade and, as his education had been neglected, set about teaching himself; after which he opened a school at Llwyn-yr-hwrdd. From 1813 until Napoleon had been overthrown he was compelled to serve in the county militia. In 1818 he was ordained minister at Horeb, near Llandysul, Cardiganshire, where he laboured strenuously to keep a school and to establish new Independent churches. In 1821 he took charge of Carmel, Pantdefaid; in 1833 he built Bwlch-y-groes chapel and started a church there; and in 1839 he founded the church at Bryn-teg, Llanwenog. His publications included Traethawd ar Swper yr Arglwydd, 1822; Traethawd ar Grefydd Deuluaidd, 1828; Cofiant y Parch. Morgan Jones, Trelech, 1836; Gwaedd yng Nghymru, 1853; and a number of catechisms for the Sunday school. He rendered service to a large area as unpaid legal adviser and arbitrator. He died 4 July 1860 at the age of seventy-seven, and was buried at Bwlch-y-groes. William Griffiths (1788 - 1861), Calvinistic Methodist minister of Burry Green, Gower, was his brother.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.