Born 28 October 1782 at Cwmynys farm near Carmarthen. After having been at the Wrexham Independent Academy (1803 for a short time) and the Carmarthen Presbyterian Academy (1804-8), he became successively a schoolmaster at Llan-y-bri, a private tutor at Saethon, Llŷn, to the family of Williams of Bron Eryri, and an Independent minister at Salem, Llandovery (ordained 20 April 1815). The story of his life is that of a gradual change from Calvinism to Unitarianism. See an article on him by his son, D. D. Jeremy, in Yr Ymofynydd, 1897, 349. After his marriage to the widow of the Rev. Evan Davies of Caeronnen, he became minister of Caeronnen (1819-46) and Cribin (1819-22). He preached regularly, without taking charge of any other church, until his death, and almost to the end kept a school. He died 15 November 1860 and was buried in the parish churchyard, Lampeter. His son, W. D. Jeremy, is noticed below.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.