Kt., cr. 1955; C.B.E. 1948; Lord Lieutenant of Montgomeryshire and Custos Rotulorum 1950-60; b. 19 Mar. 1885, s. of Edward and Martha Hamer (née Matthews), Summerfield Park, Llanidloes, Mont.; m. Sybil Dorothy Vaughan Owen (High Sheriff of Montgomeryshire 1958), 3rd dau. of Dr. John Vaughan Owen and Emma Wigley Owen (née Davies), at St. Idloes parish church, Llanidloes on 1 July 1920; one dau. (Shirley, Lady Hooson). He was educ. at Llanidloes Grammar School and began his business career in 1902 when he joined the staff of his father's firm, Edward Hamer and Co., at Llanidloes. The firm farmed extensively and were pioneers in the Welsh mutton trade, being purveyors to three monarchs. In 1919 Sir George became sole proprietor of a firm of leather manufacturers bearing the name of his brother, T. Pryce Hamer, who was killed in action in France during World War I. Sir George became chairman of directors when the firm became a limited company in 1946, but relinquished the position in Jun. 1954 when there was an amalgamation with another firm, although he remained a director of the company. He was a member of Llanidloes Borough Council 1919-54, Mayor on eleven occasions; Alderman 1932; Hon. Freeman of the Borough 1948; Montgomery County Council 1929 (Chairman 1951-54 and 1956-58); Alderman 1949; Chairman Montgomeryshire Education Committee 1947-51; member of Council for Wales and Monmouthshire 1949-54 and 1956-59; Chairman of Wales Gas Consultative Council and member of Wales Gas Board 1949-58; member of Central Advisory Council for Education (Wales) 1945-49; member of B.B.C. Advisory Council for Wales 1946-49 and a member of the Welsh Joint Education Committee. J.P. Montgomeryshire 1932 and Chairman of Llanidloes Borough and Upper Petty Sessional Benches 1950-60; Chairman Montgomery County Magistrates’ Committee. High Sheriff of Montgomeryshire 1949. County President Venerable Order of St. John for several years; President Montgomeryshire Boy Scouts' Association; President Montgomeryshire Playing Fields Association; Chairman Montgomeryshire Assessment Panel; Chairman of Governors Llanidoes Secondary School; Member of the Governing Body Colleges of each of the constituent of the University of Wales; member of the University Court; Vice-Chairman Mid-Wales Police Authority; Member of the Court of Governors and Council of the National Museum of Wales; Member of the Court of Governors of the National Library of Wales; member of the North Wales Development Council; Vice-President of the Industrial Association of Wales and Monmouthshire; member of the General Committee of the Council for the Preservation of Rural Wales; Chairman of Llanidloes Boys’ Club from its foundation in 1937. He became completely involved in the life of the community which he served in all its aspects but perhaps his most significant contribution was the firm and able leadership which he gave to the education service in the implementation of the 1944 Butler Education Act. His philosophy of education in the 20th century derived its inspiration from the two Liberal Members of Parliament for the county of Montgomery who played a significant part in the development of Intermediate and Higher Education in Wales in the 19th century — Lord Stuart Rendel and A.C. Humphreys Owen. He d. on 3rd Feb. 1965 and was buried in Llanidloes.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/