Born 23 May 1754, second son of the hymnist William Williams of Pantycelyn. He was educated at Coed-cochion, Carmarthen grammar school, and Ystrad Meurig, was ordained deacon in 1779 and priest in 1780. After being curate at Llanfynydd and Builth, he went, in 1781, at David Jones of Llan-gan's (1736 - 1810) request, to keep a school at Coychurch, and about this time joined the Methodists. In 1784 he became a tutor at the countess of Huntingdon's college at Trevecka, of which he was principal from 1786 to 1791. He was the backbone of the Methodist movement in Brecknock, and took part in the first Methodist ordination, 1811. He edited a new impression of his father's hymns, Gwaith Prydyddawl … W. Williams (Carmarthen, 1811), and translated into Welsh his father's English hymn, ‘O'er those gloomy hills of darkness.’ In 1794 he published his translation of a book by William Jones (Nayland), Yr Athrawiaeth Gatholig o Drindod (Trevecka). He died at Pantycelyn 5 June 1828, and was buried in the same grave as his father at Llanfair-ar-y-bryn.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/