SALUSBURY, JOHN (1575 - 1625), or John Parry, Jesuit and scholar

Name: John Salusbury
Date of birth: 1575
Date of death: 1625
Gender: Male
Occupation: Jesuit and scholar
Area of activity: Religion; Scholarship and Languages
Author: Emyr Gwynne Jones

Born in Merionethshire, 1575, a member possibly of the Salusbury of Rug family. He went to the Jesuit College at Valladolid, 22 June 1595, was ordained priest 21 November 1600, and was sent in May 1603 to England where, in 1605, he joined the Society of Jesus. When Fr. Robert Jones died in 1615, Salusbury succeeded him as Superior of the North and South Wales District and went to live at Raglan castle where he was chaplain to lady Frances Somerset. In 1622 he founded the College of S. Francis Xavier, of which he became principal, at Cwm in the parish of Llanrhyddol, Hereford. He died in 1625 when on the point of leaving for Rome to take up the post of procurator of the province of England of the Society of Jesus. Salusbury translated into Welsh an Italian book by cardinal Bellarmine to which he gave the title Eglurhad Helaethlawn o'r Athrawiaeth Gristnogawl; it was printed at S. Omer College, 1618.


Published date: 1959

Article Copyright:

The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.

Find out more on our sponsorship page.