b. c. 1613, the son of James Rhys Parry. Some details concerning the connection of the family with Herefordshire and Brecknock are given in the article on the translator's father, and, more fully, in Jnl. Welsh Bibliog. Soc., ii, 276-301, and iii, 13-6-many of the details being taken from the prefaces to George Parry's version of the Psalms (in N.L.W. MS. 641). George, the son of James Rhys Parry, was almost certainly the same as ‘George Parry, son of James Parry of Michael Church (Michael-church Escle), co. Hereford, pleb., S. John's Coll., matric. 17 Jan., 1633-4, aged 21; B.A. 4 Feb., 1633-4; perhaps M.A. Hart Hall 23 June 1635, and vicar of Dingestow, co. Monmouth, 1640, perhaps canon of Llandaff 1663’ (Foster, Alumni Oxon.). George Parry himself (in N.L.W. MS. 641) gives further information. He was usher at Dr. Willes's School in Thistleworth (Isleworth), master of the Queen Elizabeth grammar school, Carmarthen (probably before 1640). He speaks also of a connection with the diocese of Llandaff; it is therefore believed that the translator is also the George Parry who was given the living of Dingestow, Mon., 1640, and made canon of Llandaff (7 Jan. 1662/3). He became vicar of Cheriton and Llanmadoc, Gower, c. 1649. Browne Willis (Survey of Llandaff, 1719) says that he d. at the beginning of 1678, and was buried at Cheriton.
George Parry's metrical version of the Psalms (N.L.W. MS. 641) is partly in free and partly in strict metre. But unlike that of the other translators, his version has a parallel version in Latin also.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/