LEWIS MON (fl. c. 1480-1527), a poet who hailed from Llifon, Anglesey.
Name: Lewis Mon
Occupation: a poet
Place: Llifon, Anglesey
Area of activity: Poetry
Author: David James Bowen
In his elegy to Tudur Aled he calls the latter his teacher, and the two poets are also grouped together in Ieuan ap Madog ap Dafydd's elegy on Syr Dafydd Trefor, the Anglesey poet and cleric. Many of his compositions are addressed to the Penrhyn family. It would appear that he d. at Valle Crucis abbey, where he was buried. An elegy on his death was written by Dafydd Alaw. His will was proved 28 June 1527.
- Professor David James Bowen, Aberystwyth
NLW MSS 1553 (84, 87), 872 (463);
- T. Gwynn Jones, Gwaith Tudur Aled (1926);
- Jones and Lewis, Mynegai i Farddoniaeth y Llawysgrifau (1928);
Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1880, 218;
Y Llenor, i, 78-9;
- J. E. Griffith, Pedigrees of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire Families (1914), 303;
- [and see now Llenyddiaeth Cymru o 1450 hyd 1600, iv, 1].
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/