Born at Llanfachraeth, Anglesey, 12 June 1839, the eldest child of John and Margaret James, and brother of O. Waldo James. He became a member at Bodedern in 1853, and started to preach at Tabernacle, Holyhead, in 1858, under the ministry of William Griffith. In 1859, at the request of his intimate friend William Ambrose (Emrys), Portmadoc, he moved to Gorseddau, near Penmorfa, to conduct religious services and keep a school for the quarrymen. He was ordained at Llanaelhaearn and Sardis (Llangybi), 31 July to 1 August 1861, and moved in 1872 to Nevin and Morfa Nevin, where he remained until his retirement on account of ill-health in 1897. He died 21 December 1904, after a long illness. ‘James Nefyn’ was one of the best-known Congregationalists of his day. He received a denominational testimonial in 1893, and was elected chairman of the Welsh Congregational Union in 1894. He published two volumes of Welsh sermons, in 1866 and 1900.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/