son of Hugh and Mary Hughes, Brynhaulog, Adwy'r Clawdd, Denbs. He received his early education at Evans's school, Minera, and afterwards worked at Kendrick's Bank in Hope Street, Wrexham. After a short period he left the bank to take charge of the accountancy at the Lower Bersham paper-mill. When Broseley the proprietor d. shortly afterwards, Richard took over the paper-mill and continued to work it under the name of Hughes and Phillips. He m. Anne Jones (1797 - 1827). In 1820 he opened a paper-store in Bank Street, Wrexham; by 1823 he had established a bookshop and printing-press at 1 and 2, Church Street, Wrexham. Appointed the first registrar of marriages for the division in 1837, he became the town postmaster three years later. In 1848 his son Charles joined him, and because of the books and music which they marketed, the publishing house of Hughes and Son became well-known to Welsh people all over the world. After an active religious and business life, Richard Hughes d. at Brynhyfryd, Wrexham, 12 January 1871.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/