Son of Benjamin and Margaret Jane Williams; born 9 October 1902, at Rhosllannerchrugog, Denbighshire. Educated at Ruabon grammar school, he was a pupil-teacher, 1921-22, and then a student at Liverpool University. He gained a degree in science, with high honours in chemistry, and within two years graduated Ph.D. From 1927-31 he undertook research work with the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research in London. In 1931 he was appointed lecturer at Wrexham Technical College and was responsible for developing their chemistry department, specialising on the industrial side. In 1938 he came to the then Flintshire, as deputy Director of Education and became Director of Education in 1941. He was a member of the Court and Council of the University of Wales and a member of several sub-committees. He was Chairman of the Council of the National Eisteddfod of Wales 1960-64. He became well known as a pioneer of Welsh-medium schools, and with his characteristic energy established two Welsh secondary schools in Flintshire, the first two in Wales. He played a leading role in the campaign to promote Welsh television, and in 1961 became Chairman of the independent company Teledu Cymru, but the venture failed and came to an end in May 1963. In 1929 he married Sarah Hughes of Rhosllannerchrugog and they had two children. He died 29 May 1965.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/