Born in the parish of Newport Pembrokeshire, 30 January 1852, son of James and Martha Salmon. His forebears on both sides had for generations been farmers in the parish of Nevern. He was a pupil-teacher in Haverfordwest from 1865 to 1869, a student at the Borough Road (London) Training College in 1870-71, and a tutor at that college in the following session. From 1875 to 1891 he was headmaster of a board school in Belvedere Place, Borough Road, and was then appointed principal of Swansea Training College for women, where he remained until 1922. During a period of thirty years he greatly developed the scope and activities of that institution.
He produced over thirty publications, mostly school textbooks and editions of the English classics, some of which were widely used. He was greatly interested in aspects of Welsh history, on which he wrote numerous papers, notably 'A Welsh Education Commission (1846),' Cymm., 1913; 'The Quakers in Pemrokeshire', West Wales Historical Records, 1923 and 1927; ' The Descent of the French on Pembrokeshire ', West Wales Historical Records, 1929, (amplified and published separately in 1930); ' A Sequel to the French Invasion of Pembrokeshire, Cymm., 1932. He wrote many notes on matters of local historical interest in the Pembrokeshire weekly newspapers. In 1919 the University of Wales conferred on him the honorary degree of M.A.
He married in 1876 Mary Wiedhofft of London (died 1925), and they had five children. He died on 14 December 1944 at Lampeter Velfrey in Pembrokeshire.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.