b. 1 November 1870 at Aberystwyth, Cards., the third son of David and H. Maria Roberts. His father was a member of Aberystwyth Town Council for 44 yrs and served as mayor of the borough on three occasions. G.F. Roberts was educated at a private school at Cheltenham. He joined his father's company and was the managing director of the Trefechan brewery from 1890 until his retirement in 1935.
Roberts stood unsuccessfully as the parliamentary candidate (C) for Cardiganshire in 1910, and continued to support the Conservative Party throughout his life. During World War I he was the Staff Officer of the Embarkation Staff, and from 1921 until 1925 he led the 102nd Field Brigade of the Royal Artillery. In 1933 he was chosen as Honorary Colonel of the 146th Medium Regiment of the Royal Artillery.
He was elected a member of the Aberystwyth Town Council in 1902; he remained a member for 30 yrs. and served as mayor in 1912-13 and 1927-28. He chaired many council committees. He also served as a member of the Cardiganshire County Council for 20 yrs. Roberts also played an active part in the activities of the National Library of Wales; he was elected a member of the Court of Governors in 1914 and of the Council in 1919, and he served as treasurer from 1939 until 1944, when he was elected to succeed Lord Davies of Llandinam as N.L.W. President. He chose to retire from this position in 1950. He also served as vice-president of the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth. He was a prominent supporter, too, of the work of the Aberystwyth General Hospital, and he chaired the Mid-Wales Hospital Management Committee, 1948-51. Roberts was a member of a large number of local committees, was a prominent public figure in the Aberystwyth area and at Llanbadarn Fawr church. He won great respect because of his high principles, his kindness and generosity, and unfailing courtesy.
Fossett Roberts was awarded the O.B.E. in 1919, the T.D. in 1922, was knighted in 1935 and received the C.B. in 1942. He was awarded the degree of LL.D. honoris causa by the University of Wales in 1947. He was chosen a J.P. for Cardiganshire in 1906, served as High Sheriff in 1911-12, and as the county's Deputy Lieutenant from 1929.
He m., 29 Sept. 1896, Mary, the eldest daughter of John Parry, Glan-paith, Cards. She d. 26 May 1947. They had two daughters. They lived at Glan-paith, Rhydyfelin Aberystwyth, and for a time at Laura Place in the town. He died 8 April 1954 at Glan-paith, the funeral service was held at Llanbadarn church and his remains were buried at Aberystwyth cemetery. There is a bronze memorial plaque at the National Library of Wales.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/