MICHAELIONES, THOMAS (THOMAS MICHAEL JONES; 1880 - 1960), priest and owner of a gold mine

Name: Thomas Michaeliones
Date of birth: 1880
Date of death: 1960
Spouse: Constance Mary Michael (née Weighill)
Spouse: Janet Michael (née Chadwick)
Parent: Ellen Michael Jones
Parent: Thomas Michael Jones
Gender: Male
Occupation: priest and owner of a gold mine
Area of activity: Business and Industry; Religion
Author: Mary Auronwy James

Born 1 May 1880 son of Thomas and Ellen Michael Jones, 24 Baptist St., Pen-y-groes, Caernarfonshire. He attended Pen-y-groes and Menai Bridge schools and was a lay student at Brecon Independent Theological College (1905-06). He took up journalism for a short period but in 1911 he was confirmed as a member of the Anglican Church in Wales at Llanllyfni and served as curate at Blaenau Ffestiniog (1917-20), Holyhead (1920-24) and Llanwnog (1924-29), before becoming rector of St. Beuno, Pistyll, Caernarfonshire, with Llithfaen and Carn-guwch churches (1929-60).

In 1924 he published three booklets of English verse and the following year he composed verses to the ' Union Jack ' for a competition. They were selected for publication by Empire Music Publishers, London and set to music by Arthur Selaw. Thomas Michaeliones was interested in archaeology and church history, publishing a number of pamphlets on the churches in Nefyn district in particular. He restored Pistyll church which had been closed for many years and made strenuous efforts to preserve the ancient church of Carn-guwch.

He was an uncommon character, and one of his multifarious interests was prospecting for gold on the Craigwen smallholding which he bought in the Mawddach valley. He owned the Graigwen Gold Fields from c. 1938 until their closure in 1953. His offer to provide gold for Princess Elizabeth's wedding ring in 1947 was accepted.

He changed his name when he married (1), in 1916, Janet Chadwick (died 1940). They had three daughters and a son. He married (2) Constance Mary Weighill in 1942 and they had a daughter. He died 24 April 1960 at his home, Gwerindy, Pistyll.


Published date: 2001

Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/

The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.

Find out more on our sponsorship page.