Born 9 February 1881 in London, son of Arthur Griffith Poyer Lewis, barrister-at-law, of Henllan, near Narberth, Pembrokeshire, and Annie Wilhelmine, his wife, and grandson of Richard Lewis, Bishop of Llandaff from 1883 to 1905. He was educated at Eton and University College, Oxford, where he graduated in history in 1903. He was called to the Bar by the Inner Temple in 1908 and served in the South Wales Circuit until 1914. Between 1914 and 1919 he served as an officer in the Army with the Glamorgan Yeomanry and was twice mentioned in despatches and awarded the O.B.E. After the war he settled in London, where he was eminently successful as a barrister. He specialised in ecclesiastical law and was chancellor of the dioceses of Llandaff, 1914-35, Monmouth, 1921-35, Manchester and Blackburn, 1929-35, and Worcester, 1930-35. In 1930, he became a junior counsel to the Treasury, and was in July 1935 appointed judge in the King's Bench division and knighted. On his first circuit in Wales he heard the case of the burning of the aerodrome in Llŷn at Caernarfon, when the jury failed to agree on a verdict. He served as J.P., chairman of Quarter Sessions, and Deputy Lieutenant of Pembrokeshire. He married (1), in 1908, Margaret Annie (died 1932), daughter of Sir John Eldon Bankes of Soughton Hall, Northop, Flintshire, and in 1934 (2), Elizabeth, daughter of Dr. David Barty King of London. He died 15 March 1950.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/