JONES, WILLIAM PHILIP (1878 - 1955), minister (Presb.) and Principal of Trefeca College

Name: William Philip Jones
Date of birth: 1878
Date of death: 1955
Spouse: Gwendolen Jones (née Lewis)
Parent: Margaret Jones
Parent: Edward Jones
Gender: Male
Occupation: minister (Presb.) and Principal of Trefeca College
Area of activity: Education; Religion
Author: Gomer Morgan Roberts

Born 21 November 1878 at Rock House, Tre-fin, Pembrokeshire, son of Edward and Margaret Jones. His father died when he was five years old, and his mother returned to her native district of Nevern. He was educated at Nevern elementary school, and at Llandysul and Newcastle Emlyn grammar schools. He began preaching at the age of 15 at Gethsemane, Nevern, and entered the University College, Cardiff, to prepare himself for the ministry, graduating B.A. in classics. He proceeded to Trefeca College where he graduated in theology, and in 1902 he received the M.A. degree of the University of Wales for his thesis on ' The syntax of New Testament compared with Attic Greek '. He was ordained in 1904, and the following year he married Gwendolen Lewis, Fishguard; they had a son and two daughters. He served as minister of the church of Pen-towr, Fishguard (1903-06), Penffordd and Gwastad (1906-10), Jerusalem, Pontrhyd-y-fen (1910-12), Bethlehem, Treorci (1912-15), returning to Penffordd and Gwastad (1915-26). The first time he was at Pen-ffordd he established a church (Presb.) at Clunderwen. In 1926 he was appointed principal of Trefeca College, where he remained for the rest of his life. He was a good and successful tutor, and accomplished the great task of collecting thousands of pounds to establish a fund for the preservation of the old buildings at Trefeca. His handbook on the Gospel of S. Mark - in Welsh and English - was published in 1912, and a bilingual volume Trevecca College 1842-1942 appeared in 1942. He contributed occasionally to Y Goleuad, Y Lladmerydd and Cylchgrawn Cymdeithas Hanes y MC. A prominent figure in his Association, he served as Moderator of the Association in the South in 1945. He died Sunday, 3 July 1955, at the chapel house, Dyffryn, Taibach, where he was due to preach that day. His remains were buried at Fishguard.


Published date: 2001

Article Copyright:

The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.

Find out more on our sponsorship page.