Born in Bryn-crug, Merionethshire, 1 November 1867. When he was seven, the family moved to Treorchy, but they returned to Bryn-crug two years later and he received a little education in the Board School there. At 12 he went to work in the colliery, but he sought more education in a private school in the Rhondda and later in a preparatory school in Cardiff. In 1890 he went to Dinas Mawddwy as a lay agent. After being received into the ministry in 1894 and appointed to Ashton-in-Makerfield, he served in the circuits at Ffynnongroyw (1897), Llangefni (1898), Bangor (1901), and Chester (1902). In 1904 his health broke down and he went to South Africa to seek a cure, becoming the minister of the non-denominational church in Cape Town. On his return he went to the circuits in Llandudno (1905), and Barmouth (1909), but became a supernumary for a year in 1911 because of ill-health, and in 1912 he moved to Flint Mountain where he lived for the rest of his life as a minister without charge. He was appointed editor of Y Gwyliedydd Newydd and remained in that post until 1940. He was the President of the Conference in 1924. From 1928 to 1934, he was the secretary of the first North Wales Province, and Moderator from 1934 to 1938. He was also secretary of the Bookroom for a while. He was in the first rank of the preach- ers of his time. In 1938 he became a supernumary and the Conference presented him with a testimonial. He held many other posts: editor of Y Winllan, secretary of the North Wales Free Church Council, a magistrate, a member of Flint county council, president of the North Wales Socialist Alliance, parliamentary candidate for Flintshire in 1922 and 1924. He was co-author of Cofiant Glanystwyth, and he edited Odlau Moliant for the Welsh church in Cape Town. He lectured widely and contributed regularly to Welsh periodicals. He married Christiana Lloyd, and they had two sons. He died on 18 December 1954.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/