b. 4 March 1906, elder son of Henry and Winifred Anna Jones-Davies, Bremenda, Llanarthne, Carms.. He was educated at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Carmarthen, St. George's School, Harpenden, Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge and St. George's Hospital, London. He was awarded the degrees of M.A. and M.D. (Cantab.), and F.R.C.P. and D.P.H. (London). After serving for some time as an assistant medical officer to London County Council he was appointed medical officer of health for Radnorshire in 1938. During World War II he served as an officer in the R.A.M.C., and later was appointed a consultant physician, primarily as a heart specialist, at the West Wales Hospital, Carmarthen, a position he held for ten years until his death.
An all-round sportsman, he represented his hospital at rugby, tennis, cricket, and hockey, but it was as a centre three-quarter rugby player that he was best known. A Cambridge ‘Blue’, he played rugby for Llanelli, London Welsh, United Hospitals, Middlesex, and the Barbarians. He was selected to play for Wales on a number of occasions. He was also a member of the British touring team which toured New Zealand and Australia in 1930.
Like his father Dr. Jones-Davies played a prominent part in public life. He served as High Sheriff of Carmarthenshire in 1952-53, and was also a Deputy-Lieutenant and a Justice of the Peace for the county. For a number of years he was president of the Carmarthen Divisional Liberal Association and of the county branch of the British Legion.
In 1938 Dr Jones-Davies married Nesta, only daughter of Dr. & Mrs. Hector Jones, Maesteg, and there was one son of the marriage. T.E. Jones-Davies died 25 August 1960.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/