HUGHES, WILLIAM ROGER (1898 - 1958), cleric and poet

Name: William Roger Hughes
Date of birth: 1898
Date of death: 1958
Spouse: Mabel Hughes (née Mansbridge)
Parent: Ann Hughes
Parent: John Hughes
Gender: Male
Occupation: cleric and poet
Area of activity: Eisteddfod; Poetry; Religion
Author: Thomas Parry

Born 27 May 1898, son of John and Ann Hughes, Sain-y-gog, Llangristiolus, Anglesey. As a young man he worked for a few years in Liverpool. During World War I he served with the army in France and Egypt. He entered the University College of North Wales, Bangor, in 1922, and graduated in 1925. In the same year he was licensed as curate of Mold, moving to Holywell in 1929. In 1930 he was presented to the living of Llwydiarth, Montgomeryshire, and to Bryneglwys yn Iâl in 1933, where he remained until his death. He was Rural Dean of Edeirnion and Canon of St Asaph Cathedral. From 1930 till 1938 he edited Yr Haul. In addition to his duties as a parish priest he served the community as a Rural District councillor and as conductor of a well-known and successful choir. As a poet he won the chair of the Powys eisteddfod in 1930, and on more than one occasion came near to winning the national eisteddfod chair. In 1932 he published a small collection of his poems under the title Cerddi Offeiriad, containing two eisteddfodic poems and a number of lyrics which have the merit of being less subjective than many comparable poems of the period. He died 5 April 1958. He married in 1929 Mabel Mansbridge of Gwernymynydd near Mold, and they had two sons and two daughters.


Published date: 2001

Article Copyright:

The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.

Find out more on our sponsorship page.