b. 8 Jun. 1879 at Y Gronglwyd, Cerrigydrudion, Denbs., son of John and Jane Hughes. He was educated in the village school, Bala grammar school, University College of Wales, Aberystwyth (where he graduated B.A.), and Bala Theological College (where he graduated in theology). His co-digger at Aberystwyth was his second cousin, R.T. Jenkins, later his brother-in-law. He began to preach in 1899, and was ord. in 1907. He was minister at Engedi, Ffestiniog (1906-12), and at Horeb, Brynsiencyn and Preswylfa, Llanddaniel, Anglesey (1913). He m. (1), 1907, Ada Davies, Aberystwyth, who d. within a few yrs.; (2), 1920, Mary Jones of Porth Amlwch; there was one son of the first marriage, and three sons of the second marriage. He died 10 Apr. 1959 at Anfield Hospital, Liverpool, and his remains were buried in Llanidan churchyard.
J.E. Hughes was a discerning theologian. His articles on the person of Christ in Y Drysorfa drew the attention of Dr. John Williams, Brynsiencyn (1854 - 1921, who persuaded Brynsiencyn church to extend a call to him. In addition to writing for the Traethodydd, Y Drysorfa, and Goleuad, he published a commentary on the Gospel according to St. Mathew in two volumes (1937-38). He also edited Hanes dechreuad a chynnydd Methodistiaeth ym Mrynsiencyn (1924). He was a powerful and substantial preacher. He strove to serve his denomination in many spheres, and was Moderator of the Association in the North in 1957.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/