and eldest son of A.J.M. Green, clerk in Holy Orders, and Elizabeth his wife, was born at Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, 19 August 1864. On his mother's side he was a great-great-grandson of Peter Williams (1723 - 1796). He was educated at Charterhouse and Keble College, Oxford, where he graduated B.A. in 1887 and M.A. in 1892. He was successively Librarian and President of the Oxford Union Society. He was ordained deacon in 1888 and priest in 1889, and served as curate and subsequently (1893) vicar of Aberdare until his appointment as canon of Llandaff Cathedral and Archdeacon of Monmouth in 1914. On the formation of the diocese of Monmouth in 1921 he became its first bishop, and was translated to Bangor in 1928. On the retirement of A.G. Edwards in 1934 he was elected Archbishop of Wales, which office he held till a month before his death on May 7, 1944. He was buried at Llandaff. He held the degrees of B.D. (1907), D.D. (1911), and D.C.L. (1938), of the University of Oxford and was an Honorary Fellow of Keble College. He was the author of Notes on Churches in the Diocese of Llandaff (1907) and The Constitution of the Church in Wales (1937). He married in 1899 Katherine Mary, daughter of William Thomas Lewis, first Lord Merthyr, who survived him.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/