b. in London c. 1894, daughter of Thomas John Evans and Margaret (née Davies), 82 Addington Mansions, Highbury, both natives of Cards. She received private tuition before going to the Central Foundation Girls' School and subsequently attending courses held by London University. After obtaining comprehensive secretarial training she eventually became private secretary to the managing director of the exporting firm Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries, Ltd. in London. Despite being brought up in London, she took a deep interest in everything Welsh and was special correspondent on Welsh affairs to London newspapers. She travelled widely in Europe and twice went to America to visit relatives and give lectures to Welsh communities there. At the beginning of World War II she was for 2 years engaged in the intelligence section of the B.B.C. at Evesham, monitoring English broadcasts from foreign countries. During 1942-45 she travelled much in Wales as Woman Power Officer for Wales. She gave popular lectures, particularly on the London and American Welsh, and broadcast frequently in the series Gwraig y tŷ, Woman's Hour, and other programmes, c. 1947-54. She played a prominent part in Welsh social life in London, being the first woman chair of the London Welsh Association, and the first woman to be elected to the council of the Hon. Soc. of Cymmrodorion. She became president of the London Cardiganshire Society and served as sub-editor of the society's Handbook, 1936-39 and editor for five years when publication of the magazine was resumed in 1952. She did not marry. After retiring to Cardiganshire she died 11 December 1970 and her ashes were interred at Capel Erw, Cellan.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/