Born 1 May 1801 at ‘Pwll-yr-hyward’ (probably Pwll-yr-hwyaid), Llanfoist (Llan-ffwyst), Monmouthshire; his father, of the same name, worked at Abertillery (Abertyleri), but returned to Llanfoist to work in the limestone quarries belonging to the Blaenavon iron-works, becoming a member of Llanwenarth Baptist church, where he married. The son became innkeeper of the ‘White Hart’ at Blaenavon, and afterwards a weigher in the iron-works at Blaina, but returned (c. 1860) to Blaenavon to keep the ‘Three Cranes’ inn — his wife, Mary (Lewis), had died 1859 at Blaina — they had two daughters. He died 31 January 1889. A zealous eisteddfodic competitor, he was a founder-member of ‘Cymreigyddion y Fenni’ (for which see under Carnhuanawc and under Bevan, Thomas, 1802 - 1882); he won many prizes and medals, and contributed to Seren Gomer and to Y Bedyddiwr. He is best known for his parish history, Hanes Llanffrwyst, which took the prize at the first Abergavenny Cymreigyddion eisteddfod, 22 November 1834. It was published under the editorship of Sir Joseph Bradney in 1922, with an introduction from which the present notice has been compiled.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/