everything (e.g. the title of the firm, ‘John and Evan Lloyd’) suggests that John was the elder brother, but attempts to find his dates have so far been unsuccessful. The firm must have been printing at Mold in 1833 at the latest, for it was in that year that Owen Jones (Meudwy Môn) became a proof-reader in their office, more especially to correct the proofs of the Biblical commentary by James Hughes (1779 - 1844). Under Owen Jones's editorship the Lloyds began, in 1834, the short-lived Y Cynniweirydd. In January 1835 the brothers began to publish Y Newyddiadur Hanesyddol, under Owen Jones's editorship, but after two numbers he entered the employ of a colliery, having in the meantime persuaded Roger Edwards to come to Mold to take his place in the printing office. Edwards changed the name of the (monthly) newspaper to Cronicl yr Oes; under him and his successor, Hugh Pugh (1803 - 1868), it was strongly Radical. Towards the end of 1838 the brothers parted company; John Lloyd moved to Holywell, and the last two numbers of the Cronicl (December 1838 and January 1839) were published there by ‘Lloyd and Evans’ — the new partner was P. M. Evans. In 1848, John Lloyd left Holywell for Liverpool, having purchased the business of John Jones (1790 - 1855), which included the printing and publishing of Yr Amserau — at one time he removed to the Isle of Man, hoping to escape the stamp duty on newspapers, but the stratagem failed, and he had to return to Liverpool. Lloyd sold Yr Amserau in 1859 to Thomas Gee of Denbigh, who amalgamated it with Baner Cymru. John Lloyd's subsequent history remains for the present undiscovered.
Evan Lloyd, born at Mold, left it for London in 1838, and entered the civil service. He attained a good position in the Inland Revenue department. He died 2 May 1879, at 81, Carlton Hill, London, aged 79.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/