Born 22 September 1847, at Usworth, co. Durham, son of William and Jane Gray. In 1848 the family came to Tai-bach, Margam, Glam., where he lived the remainder of his life. After serving as an assistant to his father, who was mineral agent to Messrs. Vivian and Sons, he became a consulting engineer to the same industrialists, an inspector of mines, and the inventor of the ‘Gray’ safety lamp for miners (patent specificat on no. 10,503; 12 June 1900). Among his other interests were local government, the Volunteer movement and, above all, local history and archaeology. His published work includes ‘Notes on the granges of Margam Abbey’ (reprinted from the Journal of the British Archaeological Association, 1903); ‘The hermitage of Theodoric and the site of Pendar’ (in Arch. Camb., 1903); and The Buried City of Kenfig (London, 1909). He died 9 July 1924, and was buried at the chapel-of-ease at Tai-bach.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/