The eldest son of John Gore, archdeacon of Lismore and a relative of the earls of Arran, Hugh Gore was born at Maiden Newton, Dorset. He was sent to school at Lismore in Ireland, and thence proceeded to Trinity College, Oxford, where he matriculated 20 June 1628. He left Oxford after a few terms and went to Trinity College, Dublin, where he ultimately graduated D.D. His first preferments are believed to have been the living of Nicholaston and the rectory of Oxwich, both in Gower, which he owed to the patronage of the Mansel family; but he would appear to have left Oxwich in 1638 (T. Richards, Religious Developments in Wales, 1654-1662, p. 495). Ejected under the Propagation Act of 1650 for ‘delinquency and refusing the engagement’, he kept a school at Swansea for some years subsequently. After the Restoration he received preferment in Ireland, becoming bishop of Waterford and Lismore in 1666. In 1682 his affection for the town of Swansea and its people led him to endow a ‘ffree Grammar Schoole … for the bringing up and education…of the children and youths of the Corporation, Towne and Burgh, sons of the poorer sort of the Burgesses’. The original foundation deeds drawn up by Gore and Bussy Mansell are still preserved in Swansea Guildhall. Gore retired to Swansea to live in 1689 and was buried in S. Mary's church there on 27 March 1691.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/