Born in 1818, the son of John Williams, vicar of Llandyfrïog, Cardiganshire. He went to London to study medicine, and in 1843 won the R.C.S. prize for an essay on ' The Structure and Functions of the Lungs '; he became a M.D. in 1845. After having spent some time at Guy's Hospital as a lecturer in anatomy, he started to practise at Swansea, where he gained a great reputation. From 1841 to 1858 he was a regular contributor to the London medical and scientific journals. In Swansea he published two monographs, A Sketch of the Relation … between the Three Kingdoms of Nature, 1844, and The Science and Scientific Men of Wales, 1855, besides a report (1854) on the effects of the smoke of the copper works. He was elected F.R.S. in 1858. He died 23 May 1865.
Brother of Thomas Williams. The first incumbent of the Welsh church established in Ely Place, London, in 1843, by the efforts of the second Society of Cymmrodorion, but later emigrated to the U.S.A., and died in New York in 1852.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.