b. at Hendreforion-bach, Llanllyfni, Caerns. (and christened 6 October 1774), the son of Robert William, weaver, and Lowry his wife. Owing to his gift as a singer he came to be called ‘Ffowc bach y canwr’; later he was known as Foulk Roberts. When he was 17 he received music lessons for a period of three months from John Williams (Ioan Rhagfyr), these lessons being paid for by some gentleman. For many years he visited certain districts in Anglesey and Caernarvonshire to teach congregational singing. The National Library of Wales has a 1,158-page manuscript called ‘Llyfr Cerddoriaeth o Gerddi Sion …, compiled c. 1834 by Foulk Roberts; this manuscript contains anthems, hymn-tunes, carols, old airs, etc., the compiler and collector being designated as ‘Foulk Roberts (Eos Llyfnwy), Llanrug.’ After his marriage he moved to Clegir, in the upper part of the parish of Llan-rug, and it was there that he died 11 December 1870; he was buried in Llan-rug churchyard.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/
He was baptised at Llanllyfni, 6 December 1782; an elder brother of the same name was buried on 16 July 1780. He married his cousin, Catherine Williams, at Llanberis on 6 August 1800.
Published date: 1997