Born at Tan y Manod, Rhostryfan, 29 September 1867, the only child of Owen and Mary Williams, who later (1880) removed to Tyddyn Difyr, Moeltryfan. Upon the death of the father in a quarry accident the mother and son returned to Tan y Manod. The death of the mother soon followed and the blind and deaf son was removed to Portmadoc where he was placed under the care of an aunt. He had shown an early aptitude for poetry, and in spite of his physical disadvantages he acquired complete mastery of the rules of poesy. He won ten bardic chairs at various eisteddfodau (yr Eifl, y Ddraig Goch, Liverpool, Anglesey, Flint, etc.), and wrote much to Cymru (O.M.E.) and other periodicals. He published two volumes of poetry - Lloffion yr Amddifad, 1892, and Ar Fin y Traeth, 1910. Over a long period he was under the constant care and attention of his friend Eifion Wyn. He died 19 March 1924, and was buried at Portmadoc.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.