WILLIAMS, JOHN (Ioan Madog; 1812 - 1878), blacksmith and poet

Name: John Williams
Pseudonym: Ioan Madog
Date of birth: 1812
Date of death: 1878
Gender: Male
Occupation: blacksmith and poet
Area of activity: Business and Industry; Eisteddfod; Poetry
Author: William Llewelyn Davies

Born 3 September 1812 at Bontnewydd, Ruabon, whither his parents, Richard and Elinor Williams, had moved shortly before his birth and whence they returned, when he was about 9, to Tremadoc, Caernarfonshire. He went to various schools at Tremadoc, and, later, in Caernarvon and Denbighshire. He learnt the craft of a blacksmith, at which he continued to work. Cynhaiarn, his biographer, says that he became skilled in the designing and making of certain implements for use in the ships that were then being built at Portmadoc. Early in life he interested himself in poetry, being 'installed' as a bard in an eisteddfod held at Bala in 1836. He became a successful competitor in eisteddfodau, e.g. Aberffraw, 1849, Rhuddlan, 1850, 'Eisteddfod Madog,' 1851, etc. He died 5 May 1878, and was buried in the churchyard of Ynyscynhaiarn.


Published date: 1959

Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/

The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.

Find out more on our sponsorship page.