son of John Turnor of Crug-mawr, Llangoedmor, Cardiganshire (died 1775), by his wife Margaret Gyon of Ffynnon Coranau, Pembrokeshire. He was educated at Oxford (matriculated from Christ Church, 22 May 1767, aged 16, B.A. 1771, M.A. of Cambridge), and ordained deacon, 7 March 1773, and priest, 21 September 1774. He served the curacy of Penrhyn and Betws Evan, Cardiganshire, and was chaplain to the earl of Cawdor, rector of Rudbaxton, 1790-7, rural dean of Dungleddy, 1795, vicar of Penrhyn, 1796-9, and rector of Manordivy, 1797-9. He was a magistrate in Cardiganshire and one of the founders of the Society for the Encouragement of Agriculture and Industry in the county, 1790, taking particular interest in land drainage and plantation. With Thomas Lloyd of Bronwydd he was author of A General View of Agriculture of the County of Cardigan, 1794. He purchased Wervilbrook in the parish of Llangrannog, and built the mansion there. He died 7 March 1799, and was buried at Llangoedmor. His wife (died 1802) was Catherine, daughter of William Haygarth, rector of Enham and Upton Grey, Hants. His brother, JOHN TURNOR, distinguished himself in the Royal Navy, and was captain of H.M.S. Trident when he died off Prince of Wales Island, 2 January 1801, aged 42. Another brother, LEWIS TURNOR, was in holy orders (matriculated at Jesus College, Oxford, 17 December 1777, aged 20). He purchased Wervilbrook, 1802, and continued his brother's agricultural interests, subscribing towards the Agricultural Society, and winning its premiums. He died in 1834.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/