Born in the farmhouse called Pibwr Lwyd, near Carmarthen. He received a good education, the intention being that he should become an artist, like an uncle. As the uncle died, however, John Thomas opened a school at Carmarthen. He moved to Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire, where he kept a school for fifteen years. He left for Machen, Monmouth, again as schoolmaster, but he returned to Merthyr Tydfil. In 1850 he started a school at Pontypridd, moving thence to Treforest where he spent the remainder of his life. Ieuan Ddu showed an interest in music when he was quite young and became a good musician - he had a good bass voice. He held music classes at Merthyr Tydfil and Pontypridd and thereby gave a start to many promising musicians. He was a pioneer at Merthyr Tydfil in regard to choral singing; a choir which he conducted took prizes at the Abergavenny eisteddfodau, 1838-45. In the Abergavenny eisteddfod of 1838 he was awarded the prize for an essay on the music of Wales and Ireland and at the 1840 eisteddfod, for an essay on the history of the harp of Gwent and Morgannwg; for the latter essay see The Cambrian Journal, 1855. In 1845 he published Y Caniedydd Cymreig, which contained 104 Welsh airs together with pieces by himself, with Welsh and English words. He contributed to various periodicals; he is also said to have helped Thomas Stephens of Merthyr Tydfil with the chapter on music in The Literature of the Kymry. He died 30 June 1871 and was buried in Glyntaff cemetery, Treforest.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.