b. at Dawlish, 16 Sept. 1790, son of archdeacon William Short. From Exeter and Westminster schools he went to Christ Church, Oxford, where he graduated (with a double first) in 1813, became Student of the College, and was occupied in teaching and administration till 1823. He then took successive livings, until in 1841 he became bishop of Sodor and Man. In 1846 he was translated to S. Asaph. He resigned his see 8 January 1870, and d. 13 April 1872 at Gresford vicarage; he was buried at S. Asaph. [He had m. (1833) Mary, daughter of Charles Davies and widow of J.J. Conybeare.] His numerous publications were on theological and educational subjects. Education was perhaps his main interest, and he contributed liberally from his official and private income towards building schools in his diocese; at the close of his episcopate, no parish in S. Asaph diocese was without a school. Methods of teaching also attracted his attention; in particular, he had school books prepared in which Welsh and English lessons were printed on opposite pages, though he himself was a monoglot Englishman.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/