Born at Ystradmeurig, Cardiganshire, March 1714, son of Tomos Richard, tailor and inn-keeper, and Gwenllian (‘Auntie Gwen’ as she was commonly called), his wife. Edward was taught Latin and Greek by his brother, Abraham; then went to the Queen Elizabeth grammar school, Carmarthen, and afterwards to Pontygido to a clergyman of the name of Pugh who was a distinguished Greek scholar. About 1735 or 1736 he returned to Ystradmeurig, where he opened a school which became famous, turning out a number of pupils who subsequently played an important part in many spheres. He died 4 March 1777.
Edward Richard showed his first pastoral to Ieuan Brydydd Hir, Lewis Morris, and Richard Morris, and it was first published in the 1767 Almanac of Gwilym Howel. In 1776 there was published in Shrewsbury, by J. Eddowes, Bugeilgerdd, Yr Ail yn y Iaith Gymraeg gan Edward Richard. Awdur y Guntaf. Bound up with this in a copy in the National Library is a manuscript copy (though not in the author's handwriting) of the ‘first’ pastoral; Ieuan Brydydd Hir's translation of this pastoral into English will be found in Panton MS. 2 (193-200). Morris Williams (Nicander), in his edition of Gwaith Dafydd Ionawr, has attributed one of Edward Richard's englynion to Dafydd Ionawr. Edward Richard is the author of the englyn which Saunders Lewis has printed in his book, A School of Welsh Augustans, and N.L.W. MS. 5487, ‘Diaries of the Rev. Timothy Davies’ (son of David Davis, Castellhywel) proves that this is so. See the two englynion in Blodeugerdd o'r Ddeunawfed Ganrif, 35. Edward Richard's works were printed in 1803, 1811, 1813, 1851, 1856, and ‘Cyfres y Fil,’ 1912; and several of his letters appear in Additional Morris Letters.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/