Born in 1679 at Hendre, Blaenpennal, Cardiganshire. His father was also Philip Pugh, while his mother, Ann, was a daughter of Dafydd Jones of Coedmor and a step-sister, on her mother's side, of Peregrine Musgrave, the Haverfordwest Quaker. Pugh was educated at Brynllywarch Academy and later, after the death of Samuel Jones in 1697, at Abergavenny. In 1709 he was ordained joint minister with David Edwards of Abermeurig and Jenkin Jones of Llwyn-rhys of the circuit which included the churches of Cilgwyn, Caeronnen, Llwyn-rhys, Abermeurig, and Crug-y-maen. He became the leader of the Independent movement in the district and met with such success that, according to the estimate given by John Evans, there were about 1,000 ‘hearers’ by 1715. He christened 680 children between 1709 and 1760, built Llwynpiod chapel at his own cost, and paid Morgan Williams of Rhydlydan out of his own pocket for working as schoolmaster at Llangwyryfon and other places. He supported Daniel Rowland of Llangeitho and the revivalists, and was sent for by Howel Harris and Rowland to prepare the latter's defence against bishop Claggett's accusation that his preaching was irregular. He was grieved to see Arminianism spreading in his churches, but vigorously opposed the Antinomianism of the period. He published Darluniad y Gwir Gristion, including also Myfyrdodau Difrifol, 1748, being translations of John Shower's books together with some hymns written by himself. The old Cilgwyn church register, chiefly kept by him, has now been lost, and so has the diary attributed to him — but there are reasons to doubt whether the latter was his. He died 12 July 1760, and was buried in Llanddewibrefi churchyard.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/