Nothing is known of his beginnings. According to Wilson's lists (copy in N.L.W. MS. 373), there was a Perkins in Carmarthen Academy under Evan Davies in 1745; but Thomas Morgan does not mention him, and the records of the Presbyterian and Congregational Fund Boards have no mention of any grant made to him as a student; this however must not be taken as proof that he was not at the Academy; and it may be pointed out that his two immediate predecessors in his first pastorate (Denbigh, 1767-9) were Carmarthen students. From 1770 till 1776 he was pastor of Pantycreuddyn (Cardiganshire) and Pencader (Carmarthenshire) churches; the Congregational Fund on 4 November 1776 is found grating an ‘extraordinary supply, £5, to William Perkins, Pencader, Carmarthenshire.’ He was an able, eloquent, and popular preacher, but addicted to intemperance. His churches failed to induce him to mend his ways, and majority decisions inhibited him from his ministry; but factions in each church supported him. At Pencader, the Perkins party seceded to build a new chapel, Salem, at New Inn, some two miles away. But the trust deeds of Pencader chapel, which happened to be in the hands of one of Perkins's party, revealed that the chapel was vested in the pastor, and accordingly Perkins was able to resume possession at Pencader — his opponents worshipped for some years in a private house near Cwmhwplin, but in 1785 built a new chapel at Pencader, with Jonathan Jones as pastor. Perkins's cause quickly declined, and he sold his rights in the old chapel to the congregation. He removed to Kidwelly, and thence to London, where he became a customs officer, and died at a date not known to us.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/