Born 1794 at Llan-gan, near Whitland, Carmarthenshire, son of David Parry and Dorothy his wife. He was educated at Ystrad Meurig and Carmarthen grammar schools, and ordained deacon in March 1818 by bishop Burgess of S. Davids. He was licensed as curate to the parish of Crinow, near Narberth, and, in April 1819, to Llandisilio (near Clyndernwen) also. He received priest's orders in June 1819, and in November 1821, was preferred to the vicarage of Llywel, Brecknock, where he remained for over forty years. In May 1862 he was collated to the living of Defynnog with Ystradfellte. He held this until his death at Defynnog on 22 October 1877. He was buried at Defynnog. He married Mary, daughter of David Herbert. Parry was a devoted parish priest and one of the most famous preachers of his day. He was known as ' Y Gloch Arian ' ('the silver bell'). A scholarship was founded in his name at S. David's College, Lampeter, and there is a portrait of him in the vestry of Defynnog parish church.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.