the successor of Thomas Charles ‘of Bala’ at Sparkford and Milborne Port, Somerset; born in 1750, eldest son of Joseph Owen, freeholder of Fron-goch, Nevern, Pembrokeshire. He was ordained deacon on 15 August 1773 and priested on 6 August 1775. He was curate of his native parish of Nevern, 1775-9, of Sparkford, 1783-5, and of Milborne Port, 1785-91; later he became perpetual curate of Milborne Port. The bishop of Hereford gave him the vicarage of Almeley on 11 December 1816; to that was added, on 6 March 1823, the rectory of Ryme Intrinsica, Sherborne, of which the prince of Wales (afterwards king George IV) was the patron. He often visited Pembrokeshire and, when his father died, became the owner of Frongoch. He was an active supporter of the Church Missionary Society. He died 4 February 1830, and was buried at Sherborne.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/