Born in the parish of Llaniestyn, Llŷn, Caernarfonshire. He was educated at Botwnnog grammar school, together with his cousin John Owen, later bishop of S. Davids. He proceeded to Jesus College, Oxford, and took honours in classics. From his youth he was interested in music. About 1878 he became headmaster of a private school in Oswestry. The school was successful and developed in 1883 into the Oswestry High School, which became well known, and by its excellent record attracted pupils from all parts of Wales, many of whom became leaders in the public life of Wales. In Oswestry Owen became a justice of the peace, a keen politician, and a leader in the fight for Disestablishment. From 1890 to 1893 he was co-secretary of the joint conferences, which framed the various county schemes under the Welsh Intermediate Education Act of 1889. In 1896 the Central Welsh Board was established and in February 1897 Owen was appointed the first chief inspector for the Board, an office which he held with exceptional ability and conscientiousness until 1915, when he was compelled to resign owing to a painful illness, under which he had suffered long and bravely. [He married S. A. Jones, daughter of John Jones who was at one time Mayor of Oswestry ]. He died at Colwyn Bay, 14 March 1920, and was buried in Llandrillo-yn-Rhos cemetery.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/