b. 8 March 1779 at Gresford, near Wrexham, of which his father was vicar from 1764 to 1803. Son of the Rev. Henry Newcome and Elizabeth his wife, and grand-nephew of Richard Newcome, bishop of Llandaff 1755-61 and of S. Asaph 1761-9, he was educated at Ruthin School and Queens’ College, Cambridge, graduated B.A. (1800) and M.A. (1804), was ordained deacon in Sept. 1801 by bishop Bagot and priest by bishop Horsley of S. Asaph in Sept. 1803. He was licensed to the curacy of Wrexham in March 1804, and in June of the same year became warden of Ruthin and rector of Llanfwrog. These offices he held for forty-seven years. He was also canon of Bangor (1821), and archdeacon of Merioneth (1834) (the deanery of Dyffryn Clwyd was then in the diocese of Bangor), and rector of Clocaenog (1829-34). In 1851 he retired from Ruthin and Llanfwrog and for the last six years of his life he was vicar of Llanrhaeadr-yng-Nghinmeirch in the Vale of Clwyd. He wrote Memoirs of Dean and Bishop Goodman, 1825, and an account of the castles and towns of Ruthin and Denbigh, 1829. He died at Llanrhaeadr 7 August 1857, and was buried at Ruthin.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/