Born at Cwmafan, 9 March 1850, son of Walter and Jane Morgan and nephew of David Michael (Dewi Afan). He entered Pontypool Baptist College in 1875, and was minister successively at Caersalem, Dowlais (1878-95), Ainon, Cardiff (1895-1900) where he was appointed, with Thomas Powel, to reorganise the Salusbury library in the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire, and finally at Skewen from 1900 until his retirement on the completion of fifty years in the ministry. He died 27 August 1939.
He was president of the Welsh Baptist Union in 1927; president of the East Glamorgan Baptist Association, 1819, and co-editor of Y Bedyddiwr Bach, 1882, and Yr Heuwr, 1890; he was also secretary of the South Wales Temperance Association for thirty years until 1920. He is probably best remembered, however, for his eisteddfod essays and publications, more especially his collections of place-names and biographies, such as Cofiant y Parch. Nathaniel Thomas, Caerdydd, 1900; The Place-Names of Wales, 1887, 1912; Glamorganshire place-names, 1901, Enwogion Cymreig, 1700-1900, 1907; Cofiant y Parch. J. Rhys Morgan, D.D. (Lleurwg), 1908 (part-author with D. B. Richards); Y Gwir Anrhydeddus D. Lloyd George, A.S., 1910, and The Life and Work of the Rev. Thomas Thomas, D.D., 1925.
He was m. twice, on the second occasion, in 1888, to a daughter of D. Williams, minister at Salem, Mydrim, and two sons and three daughters were born to him.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/