Born 1 January 1773, son of Edward Matthews of Pen-y-bont, near Mold, Flintshire. He became a surveyor and by 1811 had secured a considerable practice in North Wales. In 1819 he was appointed commissioner for the Arwystli commons, and in 1821 commissioner and arbitrator for the reclaimed land (Traeth Mawr) near Portmadoc. In May 1823 he removed to Clydfanc, near Llanidloes, and, in December 1828, to Aberystwyth. He was made a burgess of Aberystwyth, and carried out considerable specialist work in the town, such as measuring the streets and planning the water supply. He also took an interest in the development of the lead mines in Cardiganshire and elsewhere. His diaries show that he was a great traveller and an expeditious one, and that he was familiar with all parts of North and central Wales. He was a devoted member of the Calvinistic Methodist connexion and a most frequent attendant at the Association meetings. Towards the end of his life he served on a number of connexional committees. He died 9 January 1848. Matthews married Elin, of Tros-y-wern, near Mold, and their son JOHN MATTHEWS (1808 - 1870) became a surveyor, a shop-keeper, mayor of Aberystwyth, and a close friend of Lewis Edwards and Henry Richard.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/