Born at Rhagatt near Corwen 27 August 1816, son of Edward Lloyd, solicitor, and chairman of the Merioneth quarter sessions for about half a century, and grandson of judge Lloyd, the leading judge of the Carmarthen circuit. He was educated at Rugby and Oxford (Balliol and Jesus), was ordained, and for about two years was a curate at Llangorwen near Aberystwyth. In 1842 he became perpetual curate of Pentrefoelas, an office which he resigned in 1844. On 6 April 1846 he was received into the Roman Catholic church at Oscott, near Birmingham, his intention being to enter the priesthood; his health, however, did not permit this step. He gave up so much because of his religious beliefs that the Roman Catholics came to regard him almost as one of their martyrs. He worked hard to get better educational facilities for Roman Catholics. During the Crimean war he was a supernumerary at the war office. He wrote many articles on the history and literature of Wales for the periodicals of those days and was a member of several antiquarian societies. He assisted his friend, J. Y. W. Lloyd, to translate poetry for the History of Powys Fadog, and was the joint author with Edward Hamer of the History of the Parish of Llangurig.
In 1850 he married Eliza Anne, daughter of George Wilson of Nutley and Brighton. They had two children - Mary, who died young, and a son, Edward H. Lloyd. His wife died 20 March 1887, and he died at his home, 56 Abingdon Villas, Kensington, 20 September 1893.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.