Born at Cefn Coed y Cymer, Vaynor, Brecknock, 30 November 1690. His educational advantages were meagre, and although he learned to read Welsh, he was totally ignorant of English. Nevertheless, this self-taught bard published a collection of his poetry and hymns in a book of 60 pages, which became so popular as to demand four (possibly five) editions up to the year 1814; the title of the 1791 edition is Difyrrwch diniwaid … sef deunaw o Ganiadau … Gyd a Now o Hymnau duwiol . He was received as a member at the age of 18 into the old Nonconformist chapel of Cwm-y-glo, on the mountain-side between Merthyr and Aberdare by Roger Williams (1667 - 1730), the pastor. This pastor was an Arminian. Ultimately the Arminian members under their minister, Richard Rees, built a new chapel, the Hen Dŷ Cwrdd at Cefn, nearer to the home of Siôn, in 1747, with Siôn as one of the prominent promoters, and first deacon. The poet, a blacksmith by trade (although one manuscript calls him a weaver), died 1 January 1776, and was buried in the grounds of Hen Dŷ Cwrdd, Cefn. A marble memorial tablet was unveiled at the old chapel by his descendants on 17 August 1947. His grandson was William Harri, of Garw Dyle, Penderyn.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.