Born in 1828 at Twyn Cynordy, near Bryn-mawr, Brecknock, the son of William Lewis, who was precentor at Nebo chapel, Pen-y-cae. He received his first lessons in music from his father and from a musician from Pembrokeshire, who resided in the district. Entering the teaching profession, he spent two years at the Borough Road Training College, London, taught at Blaina, Monmouth, and afterwards at Cardiff. He was a skilled conductor and worked hard to raise music standards and to develop a taste for classical music in Cardiff and district. He formed the Cardiff Philharmonic Society. A good violin player, he led a band for a long time. His anthem, ' Arglwydd, gollwng ', was published in Y Gerddorfa, nos. 76 and 77. He composed many musical pieces and compiled a collection of hymn-tunes for use by Baptists, but his work was not published. He died 14 December 1880.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.