was the son of THOMAS LEWIS (1821 - 1897), of Llanwenllwyfo, Anglesey (J. E. Griffith, Pedigrees, 257), founder (1840) of a flourishing corn and flour business at Bangor, who was M.P. for Anglesey 1886-94, following Richard Davies (1818 - 1896), and lectured so frequently on his travels in Palestine and elsewhere that he was universally known as ‘Thomas Palestina Lewis’ — he died 2 December 1897. Henry Lewis was born at Bangor 21 November 1847, and educated at Friars School there and at Bala C.M. college. He became a very important figure not only at Bangor but in North Wales, more especially among his coreligionists. He proved a most valuable supporter of the University College at Bangor, more particularly in the matter of securing a site for the new college buildings. In 1901 (with H. Barber) he published a History of Friars School, Bangor, and in 1907 a book on the history of the Tabernacle (C.M.) church at Bangor, which includes also much useful information on the history of the town itself. He married (1872) Anne, daughter of Roger Edwards; they had seven children. He was knighted in 1911, and died 16 November 1923.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/