He was not connected with any branch of the better-known family of that name. It is very likely that he was the Richard ap John or Ris ap Ieuan ap Ris ap Gruffydd, rector of Gyffin in the diocese of Bangor, ‘the son of unmarried parents,’ who in 1470 received a papal dispensation, on account of his illegitimacy, for promotion to holy orders. As dean he appears to have been an active supporter of Henry Tudor during the years before Bosworth. The choir of the cathedral was rebuilt during his period of office, and one of the windows (with figures of SS. Dwynwen and Catherine) was donated by him. He held the rectory of Llanddwynwen, and was the founder of the cathedral chantry of S. Catherine near which (in the south transept) he was buried. An inscription in brass marked his resting-place, which was known until the 18th cent. as ‘bedd y Deon Du’ (‘the grave of the Black Dean’).
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/