b. 2 July 1823 at Bwlch-y-creigiau, near Nannerch, Flints., the son of John and Mary Jones. He learned to read music when quite young; when only 16 he led the singing in the local Wesleyan chapel. He also started to hold music classes in the districts surrounding his home. In 1849 he began to preach with the Wesleyans; in 1851 he moved to a place near Holywell and, from there, to Lixwm. In 1864 he is found at Coedpoeth, near Wrexham, where he had a bookshop and a printing establishment. He won several prizes for his music compositions, some of his anthems in particular gaining much popularity. He published a number of books containing hymn-tunes, anthems, carols, etc., and edited other musical works. He died 26 Oct. 1904, and was buried in Coed-poeth cemetery.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/